- Search For Your Excursion
The best tour you can take during your visit to Puerto Limon, Costa Rica. Come with us and enjoy our 6 in 1 tour with a professional naturalist tour guide, who will explain you the most important aspects of the Afro-Caribbean Culture of Costa Rica and show you the rich wildlife of this fascinating region.
During this tour you will enjoy:
1) A short City Tour: History records that in 1502 Christopher Columbus landed in Costa Rica at the place known as Puerto Limón. The country's port par excellence thanks to import and export traffic, Limón now has the facilities to receive cruise ships as well. The city's old quarter has the characteristics of a historical center and is currently under urban renovation with restoration of buildings and a pedestrian walkway from Parque Vargas to the market.
2) A Visit to the Rain Forest. La Jungla Trail offers a 1 km trek through a secondary forest offering beautiful landscapes, various flora and fauna, and including many opportunities to see the remarkably fascinating different frog species of Costa Rica, for example the red dart frog (dendrobates pumillo). Inside the trail, among the abundant fauna visitors may witness the 3 toed sloths and see the different species of birds: Toucans, Oropendola, Tanagers, Hummingbirds, kiskidees and much more, squirrels, and the majestic butterflies that swarm through the trail. The creeks which appear during the trail, add a crisp freshness to the air, yet more importantly enable the reproduction of many of the organisms living there. For example these creeks create the perfect atmosphere for the various types of frogs you will encounter, allowing the perfect place for egg laying. You will witness the beautiful flora, such as the epiphytes, orchids and bromeliads as well as other ground level plants with various sized leaves appearing in their plenty. The different species of trees ranging from young to old, small to large, serve as homes to many of the creatures being large mammals to tiny insects. These trees as you will witness are also adorned by the lianas that hang from the branches.
3) Visit a Banana Plantation and Packing House, where many interesting facts about this amazing fruit will be explained: The Crop, harvesting, processing, packing and exportation. Costa Rica is the second largest banana producer in the world and 80% of the plantations are located in Limon province, becoming one of the most important economical activities in the region. During weekdays, you will be able to see the workers doing their job in the fields and the packing house. A very interesting cultural experience that you can’t miss.
4) Coastal Drive: Enjoy the beautiful scenery of Puerto Limon coastline during the bus drive to the different attractions.
5) The Tortuguero Canals: Board your covered boat for a 60 minutes leisurely cruise through the jungle canals. Your guide explains the rain forest eco-system and points out sights of interest. Keep an eye out for wildlife including howler monkeys, many sloths, toucans, aquatic birds, bats and crocodiles as well as exotic flora.
6) Enjoy the Souvenirs Stores & Shopping: During our Limon Highlights tour, you will enjoy many different souvenirs stores. The Caribbean enjoys a diversity of cultures: Afro-Costa Rican, Bribri and Cabécar, Asian, Italian and Central American, among others. Besides food, the region features a collection of cultural activities and traditions that also differentiate it from the rest of the country.
Taking part of this amazing tour, you will become an expertise about the rich cultural heritage and ecological resources of the Caribbean coast of Costa Rica. Don't miss it…
Departures (Local Time)
7:00 AM (Hours: 6)
8:00 AM (Hours: 6)
Choose Child / Adult Pricing
Cost Per Person (Adult)
Tour Cost: $106.00
Tax/Other Fees: $4.00
Total Cost: $110.00
Cost Per Person (Child)
Tour Cost: $99.00
Tax/Other Fees: $4.00
Total Cost: $103.00
You'll have time to visit souvenir shops and do some shopping while in Puerto Limon. In some places there is no shade so it is recommended you bring sunscreen, a hat and sunglasses. During rainy season, September through December, you might want to bring along a raincoat.
At the cruise ship pier. The specific meeting location at the pier will be listed in your confirmation email and voucher for this shore excursion. See the 'Redemption and Voucher Details' section below.