Alaska Bear Adventure
Experience the thrill of taking off from the Ketchikan waterfront by floatplane with a veteran Alaska bush pilot on this unique wildlife expedition, only available to a small number of visitors! Your pilot will guide you to a remote site in the Tongass National Forest noted for its salmon rich streams and abundant wildlife.
A 20-minute flight takes you by historic homesteads and over the sparkling waters of Alaska's fabled Inside Passage. View an unfolding landscape of forested mountains and pristine lakes on your way to our choice remote viewing location. Few forest locations in North America offer the wildlife viewing opportunities found here!
Upon landing you will be met by an Alaskan naturalist, and driven approximately one mile by van, along a forest road, to a trailhead. A pleasant and short hike along an improved trail leads to a viewing platform overlooking a beautiful salmon spawning stream. Along the way, your guide will identify the variety of vegetation that flourishes in this rich rain-forest environment.
From the viewing platform, you will look down on stunning rapids as the fast flowing creek cascades towards the sea, and the large numbers of salmon in the stream congregate to complete their spawning journey. This is where black bear gather to feed on runs of pink, Coho, and Chum salmon, as they head upstream to spawn. Bald eagles perch in the surrounding trees, waiting for fish scraps left by the bears. In addition, a variety of birds, Sitka black-tailed deer, mink and marten frequent the area.
Ample time is allowed to observe the wildlife activity in this forest ecosystem before the hike back to the van and the short drive to your awaiting aircraft. Interpretation by your pilot and guide will enhance this truly intimate natural experience, perfect for the nature lover and photographer. Wear comfortable hiking footwear and waterproof outerwear. Wildlife sightings are frequent, however they cannot be guaranteed.
Once onboard the aircraft, each passenger will receive an individual noise canceling digital headset to enjoy the pilot's narration during flight. Upon return, each guest will be awarded a personalized Alaska Bush Plane certificate, signed by their pilot, and will include a floatplane photograph. Traders Cove opens late July and operates through early September.
- Noise cancelling digital headset
- Personalized Alaska Bush Plane Certification
Guests must be able to walk up to a mile over uneven terrain and without the assistance of hand rails. Wear layered clothing and sturdy non-skid shoes good for walking. Traders Cove opens late July and operates through early September.
At the cruise ship pier. The specific meeting location at the pier will be listed in your confirmation email and voucher for this shore excursion. See the 'Redemption and Voucher Details' section below.
Redemption and Voucher Details
- After you complete your booking, your credit card will be charged and our expert Shore Excursion Concierge agents will 'hand'-review your shore excursion selections against your cruise itinerary to confirm compatibility. Your credit card statement will list the merchant for the charges as Port Promo Cruise Tours.
- You will receive an email within 72 hours of booking from email@example.com which confirms your booking and contains the vouchers required for your shore excursions. Please print these vouchers and bring them with you on your cruise. You will be required to turn the voucher(s) in to the corresponding shore excursion supplier(s). The vouchers feature information regarding how to meet up with the tour leader upon arrival to a port and other important details.
- Your tour is completely refundable if your ship is unable to get into port or due to weather cancellations. See our terms and conditions for complete details.